In-Depth Review of the Hermes Twilly Silk Scarf
THE HERMES TWILLY BANDANA
Two years ago, I was so lucky to be gifted this beautiful Hermes Twilly Bandana from my company. I've admired the Hermes brand from afar but hadn't owned anything from the brand until this was gifted to me. Having owned the Twilly scarf for more than 2 years, I wanted to share my thoughts to help you if you're considering purchasing it.
HISTORY OF HERMES SCARVES
Never having purchased anything from Hermes before, I've always been curious of the quality of their renowned scarves. Each scarf is silk screened by hand with hand-rolled and hand-stitched hems, which take up to six months to produce. As Hermes works with a diverse number of artists to produce new designs every season, your scarf reflects a unique piece of artistry. You can feel the quality through the fabric thickness. In particular, the vibrancy of its colors and its unique two sided scarf design are what drew me to select this Twilly scarf.
My particular scarf (pictured - "La Maison des Carres Hermes Twilly Silk Bandana - Sangles en ZigZag) was gifted in October 2016. The dimensions are of a short silk neck tie 2" x 2" (86cm x 5xm), which is the smallest of the Hermes silk scarves. At the time it was gifted, the Hermes Twilly Bandana cost $160 USD ($225 CAD)". It also has a sustainable resale value - Typical resale price is between $100-200 USD on Vestiare collective in October 2017.
For the size and price, there are certainly other silk scarves that retail for a more affordable price. However, if you think you have the dicipline to maintain your sillk scarf in a good condition, you could fully recover what you've spent upon resale.
CARE & MAINTENANCE
After two years, my Hermes Twilly Bandana is still in pristine condition. I've listed some of my tried and tested ways of keeping your scarf in great condition if you decide to resale in the future.
- Avoid contact with liquids (don't wear on rainy days as it may damage the silkscreen)
- Don't puncture the scarf with brooches or scarf clips as it may puncture a hole and pull a thread
- After wearing your scarf, lay it flat to airdry overnight before storing it
- Store the Hermes scarf rolled up in the original orange packaging
- Dry clean only - frequency depends on how often you've used it.
How to pick a twilly
- Hermes has silk scarves in many sizes, so consider which size you would wear most often - I selected the twilly bandana for the price point and to sample the silk quality.
- Look at your wardrobe color scheme and consider how the scarf pattern and colors match your wardrobe
- If you chose scarves with white or ivory elements, don't wear it with denim to avoid potential color transfer
- Research the artist behind your scarf design and you can wear it with a bit of history
- Consider wearing your favourite outfit and bag to the Hermes store to see if the scarf works well in your wardrobes and which stylings suit you.
In my opinion, an Hermes Scarves should be treated like a work of art. It's an investment in a unique piece in your wardrobe. While this is not the piece I wear most often in my wardrobe, every time I do, I always get complements and questions on it. I purchased mine online, but I highly suggest going to an Hermes boutique to find one that really suits your taste. If you are on a lower budget or don't often incorporate scarves in your wardrobe, an Hermes Twilly scarf may be the best option for you. However if you can afford it, I recommend looking at their larger square scarves, as the extra fabric really allows the art to take centre stage.
Do you own any Hermes scarves? What is your opinion? I would love to hear your thoughts below!